Tuesday, November 3, 2015

In character

Sometimes, taking pictures is not about capturing what's there, documenting truth and immortalizing a moment in time.

Sometimes, taking pictures is about creating something new. Experimenting. Getting out of the usual comfort zone and doing something different.

I'm often inspired to portray ordinary people in extraordinary ways.  Every so often, I'll look at someone - a friend, a family member, a stranger - and I see them in a new way.  As someone else outside of themselves.  Through my eyes, they take on a different persona and I feel inspired to create an image telling a story that is different from their own.  

It is easy to do if you have a model or actor to work with.  But sometimes that might be a luxury - the greater challenge is getting someone who isn't a model or actor to collaborate with you and convey that story.  





No comments:

Post a Comment