Monday, July 20, 2015

The Good Old Fashioned Hustle: Portraits with Canadian Artist, Gathie Falk

Sometimes all it takes to get the job is an old fashioned hustle. No email, no social media, no texting, no technology.

Face to face, handwritten letters, knocking on doors.  That's it.  That's how I got to shoot a Canadian art legend.  Literally.  No secrets, no nothing. I knocked on her door, then followed up with a handwritten letter, and then she called.  Simple as that.  

Being so bold is totally out of character for me.  I'm too shy, I'm not worthy, fear of rejection and all that.  You know what I mean.  But I suppose what inspired me was the fact that I wanted so badly to shoot a great Canadian artist.  Perhaps to bask in the glory of her greatness - Gathie Falk is a legend, no less.  I mean how much closer to the divine can you get that to be with an artist in her space among her creations? 

But back to the photos, one of my favourite things to shoot are environmental portraits.  Though Gathie only wanted a simple headshot, I was keen to photograph her in the studio.  And those are the shots I love the most from our session together.






I loved having a backstage pass into this woman's mind - I could feel the creativity bubbling beneath the surface in these portraits.  I feel that they tell a story.  If you're craving a headshot that tells a story - a photo that captures the essence of you and your craft, give me a call at 604-808-6642.

But now, back to my mojito.  It's Friday evening as I am writing this and it's time to start the weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment