Wednesday, June 10, 2015

East Van Odyssey, Part 1

I've done several sojourns around East Van, but have been wanting to take on Kingsway for a while now. There are some cute pockets but for the most part - in my humble opinion - it's a shithole.  Finding beauty and interest in somewhat of a sparse and dilapidated area can be a bit of a challenge, and I struggled to find anything that would catch my eye, especially along the stretch between between Fraser and Victoria.  It's interesting though, how our perceptions change when we see things through the eyes of others, or in my case through a 35 mm frame.  On this particular day,  I took along both my film and digital camera and I'm sure glad I did.

The more I look, the more I love.  East Van will always hold a special place in my heart - the people, the character of the neighbourhoods, all the fabulous small businesses (who doesn't love shopping at Santa Barbara on the Drive!).   Every time I venture out, I see something new.

And with that in mind, I thought it fitting to have another photo challenge.  Last month, we compiled all the beautiful flowers that have popped up everywhere.  This time, I would like to create an homage to East Van.  So if you're on Instagram, please post any photos you've taken anywhere East of Ontario Street to Boundary.  Use the hashtag #klikeastvan and tag me @kyrani in your posts.  I'll post my favourites on the blog, and share a link to the Instagram feed as well.  Let's show the rest of Vancouver, (and the world) how fabulous East Van is.  I'll be sharing my own #klikeastvan photos so don't forget to follow me @kyrani to find some hidden gems.

And to get you started, here are a few of the images from my recent odyssey, along Kingsway and beyond, that I captured on my digital camera.  Next week, I'll post the images from my manual Leica film camera (if any turned out!).



































No comments:

Post a Comment