Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Melissa Mercier: a photo essay

Over the last couple of months I have been working on a photo essay of fine art photographer, Melissa Mercier.  In particular, I was fascinated by her ongoing series of self portraits she is doing as a way of overcoming the fear of being photographed.  In looking for a subject, I thought this would be a fun challenge to shoot portraits of self portraits.  I was a little nervous, shooting not only another photographer (we can be so picky!), but one who doesn't like being photographed.  What was I thinking?  Needless to say, I was honoured when she agreed to let me into her world and to document aspects of her life and the creation of her fine art, especially the self portraits.

You can view the photo essay below but I still see it as a work in progress for now.  It's about three minutes long so sit back, enjoy and feel free to send me any feedback.



And below is an impromptu portrait of Melissa that I love.  I shot this one afternoon when we were visiting the Rennie Gallery in Chinatown.



You will no doubt want to know how Melissa felt about all this.  Read all about it here along with more photos that "didn't make the cut":
http://manfrottoschoolofxcellence.com/2011/12/12/melissa-mercier-a-view-inside-my-word/

To view Melissa's fine art visit www.melissamercier.com and to find out what interests and inspires her visit melissamercier.com/Blog/.

xo
kyrani

No comments:

Post a Comment