Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Tribute to Gaetano

The photographer who has inspired and influenced me the most is by his incredible body of work is Vancouver photographer Gaetano Fasciana.  He is, hands down, my favourite photographer. His style and vision has always taken my breath away and the way he creatively uses natural light leaves me speechless.  He has been a constant source of inspiration for me and I visit his website often to borrow ideas


I feel so honoured to have had Gaetano document the most important events in my life so far - my wedding, my pregnancy, my boys' christening and most recently a much needed portrait of myself with my two boys shot a year ago today.


I called his cell number today as I have been hoping to get some updated portraits of myself. His mother answered and told me that he passed away this past Sunday after a long, long battle with cancer.  I am so sad.  I will never see him again, or hear his voice, or have him photograph me and my family again.  I knew it was coming, but I was hoping that it was not going to be so soon.


The world has lost a burning, creative force. We will remember him by the iconic legacy of mesmerizing images created over his amazing career.  He was not just an amazing photographer, but an amazing person.  I often told him he was the most spiritually evolved person I had ever met.  Every time I look through the viewfinder to compose a shot, I think of Gaetano and wonder, would he shoot this subject, in this way, or would he approve of my vision?   Any advice he has given me is like gold and I treasure it.  Being with Gaetano, I experienced authenticity and the divine.  I always left his presence being inspired in some way.


I cannot grab any photos from his webpage to post here, so please visit www.gaetano.com and be inspired.  I have no doubt you will find his work as incredible as I did.


I leave you now some of my favourite images he took on my wedding day and my sons' christening.


1 comment:

  1. Such a special friendship, amazing photos. Thank you for sharing. T

    ReplyDelete