Monday, March 28, 2011

How To Toilet Train Your Kids In One Week Or Less


This is my son Nicholas.  He is adorable, loves music, dancing and dogs.  He is also a free spirit who does not like to take direction.  He prefers to learn on his own, at his own pace and does not like to be told what to do.  His brother Sebastien, is the opposite.  He has the patience to watch and learn and try new things.  Nicholas will watch Sebastien and copy him sometimes.  Both boys were late bloomers in the walking department - Sebastien took a few steps at a time for a few weeks and then started walking.  Nicholas saw his brother do it, and got up and walked.  No baby steps necessary.  I had hoped that toilet training Nicholas would work the same way.  Sebastien responded to the textbook system of rewards with stickers and candy etc and within 3 weeks was fully toilet trained with no more rewards necessary, his sense of accomplishment was reward enough.  So, like walking, I thought Nicholas would watch his brother and just do it.  And I would have the pleasure of toilet training just one.  Not so, unfortunately.

Nicholas had zero interest in using the bathroom.  I was feeling very discouraged as my 2011 new years resolution was to have both boys fully trained by their 4th birthday.  5 days to go before they turned 4, Nicholas still showed no interest.  The rewards didn't work for him.  I read books and looked online for any tips and nothing helped.  I felt like a failure.

I decided that I needed outside help.  So I called Desiree Cluff, a baby consultant of Rockababy.ca. Desiree is known as the baby guru, and friends of mine had sworn by her service.  I talked to her about Nicholas, his temperament, personality and my own concerns.  Desiree put together a program that was specifically tailored to us.  She said it would be difficult and frustrating but to hang in there...that in 3-4 days there would be a breakthrough.  3 days went by and nothing...no interest from Nicholas, and I was ready to give up.  I would email Desiree to tell her the progress (or rather, lack of it) and she kept my spirits up telling me to hang in there and also giving me more tips on how to handle it. I was so impressed by how available she made herself to me that I couldn't give up.  I would do everything she told me to do. 


Day 4 -  Desiree was right, there was a breakthrough, he asked to make a pee on the toilet, and he did it!  And since then he has been using the toilet regularly.  And I achieved my goal to have both my boys fully trained by their 4th birthday.  Hiring Rockababy was worth every penny!  Now if only I had known about Rockababy when I was trying to sleep train them as babies...

1 comment:

  1. Your son sounds like my son he is almost 4 I tried Everything! He has zero interest in going potty

    ReplyDelete